Saturday 27 September 2014

UFC's Tim Kennedy tired of talking about military service

Chances are that when the average fight fan hears the name Tim Kennedy (18-4), they think of his career as a Green Beret, Ranger qualified sniper, instead of his current well-earned status as a top middleweight. Kennedy is a proud and outspoken veteran, but as he nears a UFC 178 main card bout wtih Yoel Romero (8-1) Saturday in Las Vegas, he's a bit tired of talking about his past career.

?This is fighting,? Kennedy recently told Thomas Gerbasi.

?They [fighting and his life in the military] have nothing to do with each other ? it?s apples and oranges. People want to hear what I do with Special Forces, as a ranger, as a sniper. And I?m like ?what does that have to do with fighting? Let?s talk about fighting.

"They couldn?t be more different, there?s nothing similar about them. So I guess the effort on my part is that if we?re doing an interview about MMA, let?s talk about MMA. My military service has nothing to do with what I do in the ring.?

When asked about Romero, the former wrestling Olympic silver medalist, Kennedy has plenty to say.�?He hits hard, he?s an athletic guy, he?s a southpaw, and he has a ferocious rear hand, but it?s still a fight,? he said.

The 35 year-old imagines that the wrestler will try to take him down, but understands that a fight is unpredictable. Wherever he may find himself on Saturday night, however, Kennedy is confident that he'll succeed.

"People are so scared of his takedowns, and if he?s smart, he?s gonna try and take me down. He doesn?t want to stand with me for three rounds," he said.

"His best chance is to try to score takedowns and smother me...I don't care what he's gonna try to do, because I think I can beat him in every area of the fight game."

Follow Elias on Twitter�@EliasCepeda�&�@YahooCagewriter

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/ufc-s-tim-kennedy-tired-of-talking-about-military-service-164210044.html

Efrain Escudero Rashad Evans Urijah Faber Wagnney Fabiano Kevin Kimbo Slice Ferguson

No comments:

Post a Comment