Wednesday 29 August 2012

Frankie Edgar not done with lightweight division

Even though Frankie Edgar held UFC gold at 155 pounds and was extremely competitive in his recent meeting with current champion Benson Henderson the 30-year old ?Answer? will be taking to the Octagon as a featherweight in his next bout. Edgar revealed the change earlier this month, citing the constant pressure about his small stature and interest in a change of scenery as his motivation for the move.

However, it looks like Edgar?s run at 145 pounds could be an abbreviated one, as he recently explained he?s hoping to alternate between featherweight/lightweight similar to another popular star on the UFC roster.

Edgar Willing to Help Nate Diaz Train for Lightweight Title-Fight

?I think big fights definitely interest me whatever weight class they?re at, so maybe in the future who knows where else I could go, but it?s just something I want to try for now,? said Edgar in an interview with MMAWeekly, adding his drop to 145 is, ?Not saying that I?ll never go back to 155.?

?It?s just another stage to my career. I?m just trying to make the best of it I guess. I?m not cemented anywhere. You?ve got a guy like Dan Henderson who would fight 185 sometimes, 205 sometimes; if I could be that guy, that would be interesting too,? he concluded.

No opponent or tentative date has been named for Edgar?s featherweight debut. It is assumed he will face one of the division?s top contenders in order to set up a potential meeting with title-holder Jose Aldo.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Source: http://www.fighters.com/08/29/frankie-edgar-not-done-with-lightweight-division

Per Eklund Jason Ellis Aleksander Emelianenko Fedor Emelianenko Yasubey Enomoto

No comments:

Post a Comment